March 1, 2012

Zucchini Bread with Apple,Walnut and Coconut

 
 The day is rolling by perfectly so far - Breakfast is done, Dada is off to work and Mia is at school. I quickly get to my workstation, 'My kitchen', to finish off all my pending chores before I go pick Mia from school around 1 PM. I had planned to make Zucchini bread today since the recipe sounded too scrumptious to resist.
     With some nice uplifting music in the background I merrily start baking and I have to say, the sheer joy and energy that cooking or baking gives me is simply so rejuvenating!! All my stress around how Mia would cope through these initial days at school just simply dissipates into thin air...
     Well, the baking gets done and I quickly grab my photography props and camera and rush to my studio-spot near the window but, to my utter dismay, I see that its still gloomy, cloudy and dull outside. The photos would just look so drab without some natural sunlight..ohh what a damper!
     The online weather forecast gives me some hope for a sunny late afternoon and by then my little mischievous 'helper' would be around. I guess I am left with no other option :-(
     Its 3pm and sunny outside and I am all set to shoot some pictures but Mia seemed to be in an overly opinionated mode today. Either she was pulling off the napkins saying they were not matching - not sure where she learnt to say that... or she was trying to taste the bread that was supposed to be the subject of the photo shoot! I was rapidly moving into a "freak-out" mode at this point and loosing my cool, when it suddenly struck me that I could handle this situation differently by asking her to help by bringing my props and selecting them for me, checking the pictures and asking for her expert opinions. I guess she felt more involved and responsible and it really helped mellow both of us down. Here's one pic of hers in action ...love you my lil munchkin!


Recipe adapted from Joy of Baking

Ingredients
1/2 cup (50 grams) - Walnuts
1 cup (240 ml) - Zucchini, shredded
1/2 cup (120 ml) - Apple, grated
1 1/2 cups (195 grams) - All-purpose flour (Maida)
1 tsp - Baking soda
1/4  tsp - Baking powder
1/4  tsp - Salt
1/2 tsp - Ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp - Ground nutmeg (optional)
1/2 cup (120 ml)  - Oil (safflower, corn, vegetable, or canola)
1/4 cup - White sugar
1/4 cup - Brown sugar
2 - Eggs
1 tsp - Pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup (25 grams) - Desiccated coconut

Makes one - 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf




Directions

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven. 
  • Grease the loaf pan. 
  • Toast the walnuts for about 8 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant. Let cool and then chop coarsely.
  • Grate the zucchini, using a medium grater, and then peel and grate the apple. 
  • In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, ground cinnamon, and nutmeg. 
  • In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract until well blended (about 1-2 minutes). 
  • Beat in the grated zucchini and apple.
  • Add the flour mixture, beating just until combined. 
  • Fold in the nuts and coconut.
  • Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake until the bread has risen and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 55 to 65 minutes. 
  • Place on a wire rack to cool and then remove the bread from the pan. 

Notes and Tips
  • You can substitute pecans for walnuts
  • This bread will keep for several days at room temperature
  • This bread can be frozen.


4 comments :

  1. Loved this recipe Sheema!!! I'm sure your kitchen would have smelled great while baking!!! Amazing click too. Your daughter looks adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very healthy bread,yummy yum!!
    Please link your entries to EP Series-Cilantro /Cumin Event
    Inviting Hosts forEP Series-Herbs & Spices

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bread looks superb! Bookmarked this recipe.

    ReplyDelete

First of all thanks a lot for stopping by my space. I would be very happy to hear from you and would love to see your comments and feedback :)
Thanks a bunch,
Shema

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...